LiveJournal for captain j.
|Monday, May 2nd, 2005|
this looked fun...and a procrastinators dream...
Go to images.google.com, type in your answers, and post the first postable image result for each.
Place you are from: Camden, TN
Place you live now: Waco, TX
Your name: jae
Favorite food: garlic
Favorite drink: champagne
Favorite musician: jewel
Favorite smell: matches
Favorite shoes: heels
|Wednesday, April 27th, 2005|
|o. i have so much to say.|
|Tuesday, March 29th, 2005|
sharing the sentiments of sweetgravity
I recently heard a brilliant theory on the MCAT and the process of becoming a doctor that infuriated me. literally...i was pretty much fuming. the idea goes something like: if you have to study to take the test that gets you into medical school (the MCAT)...you shouldn't/aren't meant to be a doctor. wow. i never would have thought that people could dream up something like that. i think any one who believes this has no idea what the format of the MCAT is, what all it includes, what it REALLY takes to become a doctor, and these people should probably keep their ill informed mouths closed on a subject they don't fully understand. these are the various points on which i take huge offense to that statement...
A) the MCAT is a test of analytical ability...NOT of facts. going over the subject material gives you a basic foundation which one uses to approach the questions on the test...but rare are the questions that simply require regurgitating previously memorized facts. the MCAT takes it for granted that you know everything about physics, organic chemistry, general chemistry, biology, genetics and human physiology...and REQUIRES that you put many different concepts together for each and every question come test day.
B) the MCAT covers subjects which most people took a few YEARS before taking the test...which means they have probably forgotten formulas and the like, which will not necessarily be given on the MCAT, so it is pertinent to refresh yourself on those subjects. just because i knew the material years ago doesn't mean i will still be as sharp come test day...so it would be pretty stupid not to look over as much as possible to review things i learned a while ago in my college career.
C) if you want to try and waltz your way into medical school...be my guest, and if you think that the best doctors didn't study for their MCAT's...you are probably wrong 90% of the time. not only does pretty much everyone make some effort at studying for their MCAT, but if you aren't willing to put in some work to attain a high goal, THAT is when you don't deserve to be a doctor in my book. being a doctor will always require hard work since it's pretty important that doctors keep up with the newest advances in science and technology, and that means reading up on these subjects in their spare time. i would not want to meet a doctor that thinks their natural scientific abilities will make them them all knowing and completly capable of practicing science because it takes more than that. i actually talked to one of my doctors recently about taking the MCAT, and that doctor wished me luck and even shared a few 'horror' stories from their experience with the test.
D) any goal in life should take some work to achieve...else, what is the point. even if i don't make it into medical school, i will always look back on my life and know that i tried. i personally feel like i would be an idiot to go into this test (which by the way, pretty much determines my career path) casually, with the attitude of "well if i am meant to be a doctor...this should come naturally".
E) if we all are meant to do what is easiest for us, and most natural, then i guess one could say we shouldn't be held accountable for anything we do. all the ideals of Christianity wouldn't make much sense, considering it's natural for humans to sin. and i guess future lawyers shouldn't stress over the LSAT or the bar exam...no one should make an effort to study for their GRE...and basically we should all settle for what comes easiest and with the least amount of effort, because that is what we are destined and best suited to do. well i think that's the biggest load of crap i've heard in a long time. i really find it offensive to anyone trying to do something with their life, and by 'do' i mean make an effort to direct their life towards a specific goal.
if you don't agree with me, that is certainly your right, but please don't tell me about it. this is my online journal, and so, i feel like i have every right to vent my own opinions as much as i like. and speaking for a few pre med students also stressed about the MCAT right now, i know i'm not the only one who feels this way. this isn't really an all inclusive list, this is just what i felt like writing...i'm sure i could write more, but this is enough to make me feel as though i have spoken my mind...typed it at least. i believe that the best things in life don't come easily...they take hard work, and determination...and the people/persons this is aimed at reaching, i hope you read this and understand the point i am trying to get across. i try to be supportive in the endeavours of those around me, and it's sad that it can't be mutual.
|Sunday, February 27th, 2005|
1. Your name spelled backwards: yasdnil eaj
2. Where were your parents born? mom in tennessee; dad in alaska
3. What is the last thing you downloaded onto your computer? "I'll be seeing you" - billie holladay
4. What's your favorite restaurant? scalini's in atlanta, ga... bahama breeze, a 2nd and nearer option.
5. Last time you swam in a pool? about a month ago
6. Have you ever been in a school play? yes
7. How many kids do you want? 3
8. Types of music you dislike most? rap, hands down
9. Are you registered to vote? yes
10. Do you have a car? a beetle
11. Have you ever ridden a Mo-ped? yes, straight into the side of my great grandmother's house. that whole 'gas on the handlebar' thing is trixie.
12. Ever prank call anybody? only my entire sixth grade year. sucks for kids nowadays... caller ID
14. Would you go bungee jumping or skydiving? we tried to bungee jump once... mom had us settle for parasailing
15. Furthest place you ever traveled? defintely sydney, australia
16. Do you have a garden? no. all my plants get aids.
17. What's the size of your bed? here its a twin.... at home, im a princess.
18. Do you really know all the words to your national anthem? sang 'em all hundreds of times.
19. Bath or Shower, morning or night? shower, morning
20. Best movie you've seen in the past month? devil's advocate
21. What's the next movie you want to see? deuce bigalow european jiggalo
22. Chips or popcorn? popcorn baby
23. Have you ever broken any hearts? eh....
24. Premarital sex? negatory
25. Are you a good cook? someday...i won a cake contest at the county fair once.
26. Orange or Apple juice? OJ
27. Who was the last person you went out to dinner with and where did you go? katie douglas and katie white @ PF Chang's
28. Favorite type of drink? dr pepper, any champagne
29. Best thing in the world? sailing in the caribbean
30. Have you ever broken a bone? my left pinkie. THANKS trae. = D
31. Have you ever won a trophy? yep
32. What is your favorite board game? scene it or scattergories. i'll take you down.
33. What is your dream car? something classic... convertible... for my cross country road trip.
34. Ever order an article from an infomercial? nope.
35. Coke or Pepsi? coke
36. Have you ever had to wear a uniform to work? johnny carino's t shirt
37. Last thing you bought at a pharmacy? gum?
38. Who are you going to marry? my best friend
39. Who would you like to meet? johnny depp
40. Do you believe in love at first sight? nope
41. What features do you find most attractive in the opposite sex? sense of humor/good conversation
42. Where would you go for a romantic evening? the beach
43. How many pairs of shoes do you own? ha... its over 30.
44. Last song stuck in your head? somebody told me
45. Any pets? @ home we have a sophie
46. What's your all time favorite Saturday Night Live Character? anything care of will ferrell
47. What is one thing you would like to learn to do? play guitar
48. What do you do when you are bored? do these things
49. What is one thing that youd want someone to appreciate about you? that i CAN sing.
50. What is one thing you're grateful for today? leftovers
|Saturday, February 19th, 2005|
Your World (Part One): What is your world made of? [girls]
brought to you by Quizilla
|Wednesday, February 9th, 2005|
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered; forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway.
If you are honest and sincere, people may deceive you; be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others may destroy overnight; create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous; be happy anyway.
The good you do today will often be forgotten; do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it may never be enough; give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway.
No more talk of darkness
Forget these wide-eyed fears
I’m here, nothing can harm you
My words will warm and calm you
Let me be your freedom
Let daylight dry your tears
I’m here, with you, beside you
To guard you and to guide you
Say you love me every waking moment
Turn my head with talk of summertime
Say you need me with you now and always
Promise me that all you say is true
That's all I ask of you
Let me be your shelter
Let me be your light
You’re safe, no one will find you
Your fears are far behind you
All I want is freedom
A world with no more night
And you, always beside me
To hold me and to hide me
Then say you’ll share with me one love, one lifetime
Let me lead you from your solitude
Say you need me with you here, beside you
Anywhere you go, let me go too
...............that's all I ask of you
Say you’ll share with me one love, one lifetime
Say the word and I will follow you
Share each day with me, each night, each morning
Say you love me....You know I do
Love me, that's all I ask of you
Anywhere you go, let me go too
Love me, that's all I ask of you
|Tuesday, February 1st, 2005|
THREE NAMES YOU GO BY
2) jae lindsay
THREE SCREEN NAMES YOU HAVE HAD
1) crlyfri 05
2) madd moi sell
THREE THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF
1) somewhat funny
2) i'm happy
3) somewhat obsessive compulsive
THREE THINGS YOU HATE ABOUT YOURSELF
1) forgetting to appreciate
2) afraid of EVERYTHING
3) lack of SOME common sense
THREE THINGS YOU WISH YOU HAD RIGHT NOW
1) had.... already taken the mcat
2) my mcat scores returned
3) acceptance to medical school
THREE PARTS OF MY HERITAGE
2) Scottish - Irish
3) Native American
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU
1) thinking i hear someone whisper my name next to my face at 3 o' clock in the morning
3) buoys in rivers, oceans, lakes
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS
2) dr pepper
THREE THINGS YOU'RE WEARING RIGHT NOW
1) my anniversary ring
2) green and blue longsleeve tshirt
THREE OF YOUR FAVOURITE SONGS/ARTISTS AT PRESENT
1) Phantom of the Opera movie soundtrack
2) Green Day
3) Iron and Wine
THREE NEW THINGS YOU WANT TO TRY IN THE NEXT 12 MONTHS
1) working out
2) reading for fun again
3) taking more time for those around me
THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP -- LOVE IS A GIVEN
1) absolute amazement and inspiration
2) fun, carefree, energizing
3) trust and security
TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE
1) I've recorded an album...
2) I've seen 17 broadway plays
3) I once jumped from one moving boat to another at a rather high speed
THREE THINGS ABOUT THE OPPOSITE SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU
1) facial hair ;) wink wink
2) "...sweet love and devotion, gently touching my emotion" --mr. taylor
3) humor and personality
THREE THINGS ABOUT THE SAME SEX THAT APPEAL TO YOU
1) dependable and honest
2) interesting and fun
3) good listener
THREE THINGS YOU JUST CAN'T DO
1) gen chem
2) hold a large knife
3) imitate chewbacca
...kiss in public, aaron adds....
THREE OF YOUR FAVOURITE HOBBIES
1) singing my little heart out
2) scrapbooking and photography
3) down time with mes amis
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW
1) be done with the MCAT and classes, but not college
2) travel to new york and audition for anything
3) go to sleep... wine is kicking in
THREE CAREERS YOU'RE CONSIDERING
THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION
2) St. barts
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE
1) bring others to Christ
2) live in another country
3) cure a disease
|Monday, December 6th, 2004|
|Wednesday, November 10th, 2004|
You are a RSIT--Reserved Sentimental Intellectual Taker. This makes you a Archetypal Older Child.
You are a hard nut to crack. You have a wicked sense of humor. Despite your reserved nature, you are more comfortable (and successful) in the meeting and courting mode than you are in a long term relationship. You feel misunderstood, and usually you are.
When you're in a good mood, you're funny, fascinating and a sexy firecracker, but when you're in a bad mood you are moody, broody and impatient. In courtship mode, you don't have to let anyone see your moody side. If you had your way, even in a long term relationship you would have enough time apart to deal with your bad moods yourself; unfortunately, it rarely works that way.
You stifle *a lot* of anger and frustration -- from all areas of your life -- so when it comes out it comes out nasty. More than any other type, your conflicts tend to turn on one tiny thing -- the dishes, the laundry -- that's really a scapegoat for your larger dissatisfactions with your relationship. You're baffled that your partner just can't do the dishes -- your partner is baffled that it's such a big deal. The only way around it is to let the dishes go entirely and try to get at the real root of what's bothering you.
I'm making you sound like a bear, but the fact is that you're so warm and charming most of the time that it effectively offsets the times you're unhappy.
You will make a weirdly good parent.
Don't pair up with someone who'll make sexual demands of you. That's just not going to fly at all.
Of the 150615 people who have taken this quiz, 5.3 % are this type.
|Thursday, November 4th, 2004|
I basically update this thing so livejournal wont detect inactivity and delete the account.
Spring 2005 Schedule:
Organic Chem II -- MWF 9:00
Human Genetics -- MWF 10:00
Backpacking and Camping -- MW 2:00
Vertebrate Histology -- T 4:00
Vertebrate Histology Lab -- R 10-12
O Chem Lab -- TR 2-5
O Chem Lab Lecture -- TR 1:00
oh and that Bio Exit Exam
|Tuesday, October 12th, 2004|
|4 hours of free time has left me questioning... what happened to all of my hobbies?|
|Monday, October 11th, 2004|
I am Progressive Girl
Click on the picture below to read more:
Moderation in all things, excess in nothing.
Imagine that the Girl Next Door moved to the big city. Think of Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. She's America's sweetheart with an urban sensibility. She's a post-Christian spiritualist, a pre-Monica Clintonite, and a dues-paying member of at least one social-change organization like NOW, Planned Parenthood, or the Sierra Club. You won't find her at an Earth First or PETA meeting, though. Those are the Granola Girl's stomping grounds. Progressive Girls want the world to be a better place, but they live out their politics in a moderate, left-of-center way.
If you are going to date a Progressive Girl, the one sin you can commit is to be a chameleon. Molding your opinions to fit hers will lose her respect. One very positive thing you can do is offer her new experiences -- the Progressive Girl is fearless about trying new things. Whether it's pluralism, skydiving, Asian peanut sauce, or this book, the Progressive Girl is always looking for new ideas.
She Might Be a Progressive Girl if:
She drives: a small SUV but really wishes it got better mileage; once she can get a good hybrid, she will.
She can talk for more than ten minutes about: just about anything.
She begins her sentences with: "Susan Sarandon says..."
She'd never: pass up the chance for a new experience.
She owns any of the following: a water filter, a tabletop fountain, an acre of rain forest, a mutt from the pound.
|Tuesday, October 5th, 2004|
Dawn: You put up with your boss' attempts at humour
beyond the call of duty. You're bored by your
job, and would much rather prefer doing your
dream job, the one you crave since you were a
What "The Office" character are you?
brought to you by Quizilla
|Thursday, September 16th, 2004|
|Tuesday, August 3rd, 2004|
"when the family comes to town...."
Logan said he'd been dreaming of this day since he was a child.
|Monday, May 24th, 2004|
|Wednesday, April 21st, 2004|
Thought of the day... I wish to not be unaware of my own happiness.
...the enjoyment is not quite as rewarding in hindsight.
|Sunday, April 4th, 2004|
|Tuesday, March 23rd, 2004|
|"...Be patient towards all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."|
LiveJournal for captain j.